Friday, May 30, 2014

#4weeksfit: results

I blogged here about how I am trying to be a "healthy mom", and so when I saw that Erin and Kristin were hosting a #4WeeksFit challenge, I knew I'd be playing along!



My goals for the #4WeeksFit challenge were a little vague, but here they are.

 1. Start working out. 
2. Get to at least 10,000 steps every day.
3. Eat healthier. 

Like I said... vague. I knew what I meant though. Basically, I wanted to start moving more and eating better. 
Here's how I did.


1. Working Out:

I convinced Kristin (and a couple coworkers!) to buy a kickboxing groupon with me and I've LOVED it so far. I've gone once a week all month, and I can already tell a difference. I'm better at the moves, and I can feel myself getting stronger. Obviously, I need to work out more than once a week if I really want to see results, but this was an awesome start! 


2. 10,000 Steps Every Day:


Ever since getting my Fitbit, I've been so much more aware of my activity levels. Sure, having a lazy day on the couch is awesome, but when you check your steps and see that you've gone 1500 for an entire day - it's a wakeup call. I have without a doubt become more active since putting this bracelet on my wrist. I have stopped taking the elevator at work, and instead take the four flights of stairs numerous times. I've gone for a walk pretty much every single day... except when it's raining. Walking the stairs is becoming easier. Pushing the stroller with my 23lb kid is getting easier. 


I not only made my goal of going 10,000 steps every day, but I crushed it. I went over 73,000 steps OVER the 10,000 step goal, which is over 33 miles. When I started, I had to TRY to get to 10,000 steps each day, and now it's part of my normal routine. I plan to continue making 10,000 steps a must do each day, and I'm thinking of raising my goal to 12,000. 

3. Eating Healthier: 


This is probably the most vague goal of them all. But, I figured if I ate any healthier at all, it's an improvement. I've been working at meal planning, and while we're still not perfect at it, we're getting better. I have also been using MyFitnessPal to track my calories each day, and I'm proud to say that I only went over my calories 8 days. I should mention that I am a firm believe in the 80/20 rule. I did not deprive myself of anything. If I wanted a pop or a cookie, I ate it. But, I tried to make healthier choices, and if I did decide to drink or eat that treat, I was working hard to burn more calories. 


The Results:

While my changes may not have been drastic, I have definitely noticed a difference. My muscles feel stronger, and the scale doesn't lie. As of Wednesday, I have lost 7 lbs in the last 4 weeks. I am proud of that, but I'm more proud that I'm working. Even though the #4WeeksFit challenge is over, I plan to keep going.



Photobucket

15 comments:

Erin LFF said...

You go girl!!! Seriously- you guys blow me away with the steps, haha IDK how you do it! I've got to work on that! :)

P!nky said...

You go girlie, so proud of you! keep it up!

Katie said...

You are doing awesome!! How fun that you and a group of girls are doing a kickboxing class together. I have heard those are a lot of fun. Hard work, but a lot of fun! I struggle with meal planning too. I wish I was better at it.

I have a stroller question when you email me!

DeNae vanWestrienen said...

Woohoooo! Way to make some positive changes, Carolyn.

Kari said...

Nice work Mama! You did awesome! You and Kristin look pretty cute at your boxing class!

Sarah said...

7lbs is AWESOME! id totally take the 7lb loss! and you are killing it with the steps!

Kayla MKOY said...

Great job girl!! I'm going to a boxing class with a friend Wednesday, can't wait!!!! I really need to look into this fitbit thing :) looks amazing.

Family, Fun & Favorites said...

Great Job!

WinterBenson said...

Wow! Great job mama! I love my fitbit, I like being more aware of my activity levels.

aintnodramamama.blogspot.com

The Lady Okie said...

Woah! That is an amazing amount of steps to walk. I am sure I don't get that many in a day. Impressive!

Andrea H. said...

Wow!! You did great :) The hard work is definitely paying off for you. Glad to hear that you like the fitbit. I have been thinking about getting one.

Ericka said...

Awesome job at meeting your goals and planning to stick with it! So glad that you are not only seeing results, but feeling good too!

Faith said...

You're doing so great! You're inspiring me :)

The pink leggings you wear would def. motivate me to work out!

ajs {of MN} said...

your hard work is paying off, too- you look great!!!

p.s. i LOVE cardio kickboxing!

ajs {of MN} said...

your hard work is paying off, too- you look great!!!

p.s. i LOVE cardio kickboxing!