Thursday, March 20, 2014

beauty tips you suggested!

This blog will never be a beauty blog - I can barely get myself put together in the morning, let alone teach other people how to do it! 

That being said, I was given some great advice when I asked for beauty tips in this post, so I thought I'd share the wealth! 
(a few of these are from blog posts I read as well - I'll note those instances)

I've been using all of these products for a couple weeks now, and I love them all. 


beauty faves




Yes To Grapefruit Face Wash
I have super sensitive, dry, acne prone skin. It's really fun. When Jessica mentioned Yes to Grapefruit face wash (this post), I knew I had to try it. I love the Yes To products, but hadn't tried the Grapefruit ones! After the first wash, my face felt better. It has exfoliators in it, so it sloughs off the dead skin, but it's still gentle enough to not rip my face apart. Plus, it smells yummy! Can't beat that! 

CeraVe Face Lotion
Curly Girl Confessions and Jess both mentioned CeraVe Lotion as being a good face moisturizer for my sensitive skin. I hunted it down at Target (it's in the lotion aisle), and slathered it on as soon as I got home. This lotion is THE BEST FACE LOTION I HAVE EVER TRIED. And I've tried a ton of brands. It's the first one to actually moisturize my face without making it greasy. Seriously, between the Yes to Grapefruit face wash and this lotion, my face is so soft! And even toned! And no break outs! WHOO HOO! If you try one thing from this blog post - it should be this lotion! It's AWESOME!

Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine
Pinky and Lisa both mentioned Garnier Fructis Smoothing Milk to help with my dry, staticy hair. I was a little nervous about it, but I tried it anyway. I'm so glad I did! I actually decided to try the dry hair shampoo and conditioner as well, and I'm sold! It smells AWESOME (the scent stays in your hair, which I love) and it makes your hair so soft, without weighing it down. My hair seems shinier, healthier and way happier! 

Static Guard
Samantha Jo and JJ both recommended using Static Guard on my hair brush to cure static. I was a little skeptical, but after a couple tries, I'm sold! It works like magic, and gets rid of static, but doesn't add any residue or smell to my hair! It's awesome for this super dry, absolutely horrible winter we're having! 

Benefit Brow Zings
While at the Benefit Brow Bar, the brow lady used the Benefit Brow Zings on my eyebrows, and I LOVED it. I had never used anything to color in my eyebrows before, so I was a little nervous about looking ridiculous, but it's awesome. It fills the eyebrows in just enough that they look "finished" but they don't look drawn on. It's amazing what a difference something small like eyebrow shadow can do! There are two parts to the kit - the wax that helps hold hairs in place, and then the powder that fills them in. I only use the wax if there are hairs that won't stay where they go, but I love both parts! There are also some teeny tweezers that come in the kit, which is nice for plucking random hairs quickly. It's a little expensive, but I could see this thing lasting for a REALLY long time!

Benefit They're Real! Mascara
I love trying new mascara. It seems like I'm always on the hunt for the "best one ever", and no matter how much I love a mascara, I always am open to trying a new one. The ladies at Ulta told me about this one, and it's my current favorite! The brush is nylon, and it gets into the lashes really well!

Benefit Brow Bar
Tracy mentioned getting her eyebrows waxed at the Benefit Brow Bar in Ulta (this post), and I was immediately intrigued. I had never been in an Ulta before (I know!) and I'm officially hooked. The Brow Bar is affordable, and they do an awesome job! The lady that helped me was so sweet, and she covered up my red, freshly waxed face with magic makeup that made it look like I hadn't just gotten my eyebrows done! I will definitely be going back!

NYX Makeup
Whitney talked about how she was obsessed with NYX makeup in this post, and I decided to try it out. I loved the price tag, and Whit always looks so cute, so I figured it was worth trying. I love this makeup! It reminds me a lot of MAC, which I used to use but stopped because it was so expensive. I've tried a bunch of products so far, and I've loved them all so far! They cover everything I don't want people to see, but don't make me look like I'm wearing a mask.

_________________________________

So now I'm kind of addicted to trying new products. Anyone got any more beauty tips for me? I'm still accepting applications for teaching me how to curl my hair. :)



Photobucket

19 comments:

Jess Beer said...

Yay! So glad you like the CeraVe! As far as your hair, is it super straight? Mine is and the only thing that I've found that works at all is a straightening iron, believe it or not - I turn it up to the highest setting (like over 400 degrees) and kind of curl the hair around it while dragging down. If I put in some hairspray, it actually stays pretty decently.

P!nky said...

Woohoo, so glad the garnier worked! I love it and use it pretty much every day when I dry my hair. Great post lady.

Meg @ Mr.C and Me said...

Fun post :) Elf (at Target) has a great eyebrow kit too for like $3. Works like a charm. The lotion sounds great too but I think I'll be sticking to my coconut oil. And will definitely try that static guard trick!

Mrs. Jones said...

I'm going to have to give in to the NYX trend on my next trip to Target or Ulta. Everyone is raving over it! :-)

Erin @ Keep Calm and Sparkle said...

Do you read The Small Things Blog? She did a great hair curling tutorial video that ACTUALLY works!! LOL I have done it a few times since I watched it and get compliments every time!! The trick is to turn the heat down on your curling iron - who knew?!

Ulta - I could LIVE there!!

I need to find a cheaper shampoo/conditioner I am such a name brand snob I can never find anything that doesn't dry my hair out - Fructis really works?!

Totally unrelated - got my Jbaby burp cloths and bib today - LOVE!

Erin @ Keep Calm and Sparkle said...

Do you read The Small Things Blog? She did a great hair curling tutorial video that ACTUALLY works!! LOL I have done it a few times since I watched it and get compliments every time!! The trick is to turn the heat down on your curling iron - who knew?!

Ulta - I could LIVE there!!

I need to find a cheaper shampoo/conditioner I am such a name brand snob I can never find anything that doesn't dry my hair out - Fructis really works?!

Totally unrelated - got my Jbaby burp cloths and bib today - LOVE!

Lisa said...

Im so glad you tried the smoothing milk! I just had to go buy a new bottle this weekend to have on hand for when baby comes bc I didnt want to be out! its important not to have insane static hair on maternity leave when company drops in, ya know! ;)

Curly Girl Confessions said...

So glad you love the CeraVe! :) Best thing for the money for sure.

katielookingforward said...

I also love the Benefit They're Real mascara, I have short blonde eye lashes and the applicator is one of the few that makes my eyes pop! Love it!

Faith said...

I've been wanting to try the Yes to Grapefruit face wash and now I will! Thanks!

Becky said...

This is a great post! Thank you!

Kelly @ turned UP to ELEVEN! said...

I will have to try that NYX Concealer AND the Eyeshadow base - I've heard so many people rave about Mac's Painterly pots and I just can't bring myself to spend $20 on something I'm not sure i"ll like. Thanks for all these heads up on items!!!

They're Real that stuff is amazing - expensive but amazing!

Sarah said...

cerave is the bees knees. found it when i had C! and THAT MASCARA. yes please! i have a super tiny version in my purse. i need a full size asap!

Jessica said...

I need to get my act together and get some NYX products. I've heard such good things (and totally remember that post Whitney wrote about it!)

Melissa @ i carry your heart said...

I have the same kind of skin (ugh!). I need to try Yes to Grapefruit. I'm using Yes to Carrots right now, but I haven't noticed much improvement.

Zhenya H said...

These are all great products!
~Zhenya
http://beingzhenya.com

Zhenya H said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessica said...

I keep Static Guard with me ALL the time!! And I really like the St Ives Green Tea scrub... but can never find it :(

Leah D said...

I am a huge fan of NYX makeup as well!! All good choices.