Friday, November 9, 2012

proof we watch too many movies... (7th edition)

 Before you read all about the movies we've been watching, I should mention that I wrote a letter to baby Beeb over on Kristin's blog. Go check it out, then come back and let's talk movies! :)

_________________________________________


Surprise, surprise. We've been watching more movies. I don't know if you all like these posts, or if they're really stupid, but I figure since I'm watching the movies, I might as well share my thoughts! :)



 Argo
A dramatization of the 1980 joint CIA-Canadian secret operation to extract six fugitive American diplomatic personnel out of revolutionary Iran. 

 Oh my goodness. You guys. First of all... this story is INSANE. I can't imagine being one of those people, and I can't imagine being the guy who goes to save them, and then having to keep it secret! SO NUTS. Now... onto the movie. Ben Affleck is AMAZING in this movie. Everyone is amazing in this movie. I had goosebumps for almost the whole time... and was sitting on the edge of my seat at the end. This is a MUST SEE! Not only for the historic importance, but because it's an awesome movie!!!!!


Looper
In 2074, when the mob wants to get rid of someone, the target is sent 30 years into the past, where a hired gun awaits. Someone like Joe, who one day learns the mob wants to 'close the loop' by transporting back Joe's future self. 


We saw this movie on our day date for Jake's birthday. We had seen previews, and thought it looked good, so we figured "why not?" First... it's such a cool concept for a movie. It's based in the future, but really the only difference is that a bunch of people are TK (telekenetic), they do drugs through their eyes and there is time traveling. I don't want to get too into the plot, because it will wreck the movie, but it's really good! Definitely a movie that guys and girls will like.



 End of Watch 
Two young officers are marked for death after confiscating a small cache of money and firearms from the members of a notorious cartel, during a routine traffic stop. 

The only reason I went to see this movie was because one of Jake's friends really wanted to hang out, and picked this movie. We went without even really knowing what it was about, and when I saw the shaky camera angles in the beginning, I was skeptical. This movie... is GOOD. And sad. But so good. Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Pena do an amazing job as partners! Seriously. Watch this movie.


Mary & Max
A tale of friendship between two unlikely pen pals: Mary, a lonely, eight-year-old girl living in the suburbs of Melbourne, and Max, a forty-four-year old, severely obese man living in New York.

Jake randomly found this movie on a list of movies you "must watch before you die", so of course we had to watch it. Definitely a random movie, but the story behind it was actually really good. Still really strange though.



 Insidious
A family looks to prevent evil spirits from trapping their comatose child in a realm called The Further. 

I couldn't decide if this movie was stupid or creepy. It was probably a little of both. It was definitely more creepy when you didn't know what was wrong with the kid. The creepy ghost creatures that jump out are definitely high on the creepy scale. If you like scary movies, this is probably one for you to watch. But, like most scary movies, the ending is rather dumb.





 Contagion
A thriller centered on the threat posed by a deadly disease and an international team of doctors contracted by the CDC to deal with the outbreak.

These are the kind of movies that creep me out the most. Mostly because they could actually happen. Realistic scary is WAY worse than a monster. This movie is super intense, and let's just hope that it never really happens. I would definitely suggest this movie.. I mean Matt Damon and Kate Winslet are both in it. How will in not be good??



  Case 39
A social worker fights to save a girl from her abusive parents, only to discover that the situation is more dangerous than she ever expected.

We watched this during a movie marathon shortly after getting Netflix on our TV. It sounded like an interesting movie, and Renee is usually pretty good, so we thought we'd try it. I thought the movie was dumb, and there were a lot of "that couldn't happen", "what is she going to do now?? That was stupid!" and "really? come on." moments to be had in this movie. It wasn't a bad movie, just not a great movie.


*all movie descriptions come from IMDb.com*

Photobucket

13 comments:

REBrown said...

I've heard Argo is really good, but haven't seen it yet.

We're going to watch Skyfall tonight. Hopefully it's good!

~Dawn~ said...

I'm excited to watch Argo. I've heard so many people rave about it. Although, everyone raved about The Hunger Games and I ended up being terrified of that movie.

Erin said...

Argo is on our list to see soon! It will prob be in our $1 theatre by the time we actually go see it haha!

And we both really liked Contagion too, I'm with you on that... the more possible a movie seems, the creepier it is!!

Neely said...

ARGO was sooooo good!

Ashley said...

Im glad that you said Argo was good because I wasnt sure if I wanted to see it but now I want to def see it! happy friday!

KRISTIN said...

I am obsessed with Argo!!! You guys watch some of the weirdest movies and I know it's all Jake! :)

jess said...

Argo was AMAZING! My favorite movie of the year, by far. I haven't seen any of the others... :)

ajs {of MN} said...

I want to see Argo! I have "what to expect when you are expecting" for tonight. Also, your letter to baby beeb is too cute. she will be a darling baby, i am very excited for kristin & her hubby!

Lia Joy said...

I love these posts! We love movies too and I always like hearing what real people think of the movies. Not critics! We will definitely be seeing Argo! :)

Jax said...

I want to see Looper and I loved Argo!

Jessica said...

I realllly want to see Argo!

Kathryn said...

I so want to see Argo! It looks intense. I watched Contagion on a plane on the way to China - bad idea!

Faith said...

I absolutely loved Argo! Such an amazing movie!!!

I want to see End of Watch and Contagion. Glad to read they were good!

I love your new look! It looks incredible!!!