Thursday, November 15, 2012

meeting Young House Love

Everyone has a blog that they LOVE to read. I have several, but one that's at the top of my list is Young House Love. Not only are they talented DIYers, amazing decorators and an adorable family, they're also really funny and witty! 


If you don't read them (YOU SHOULD!), you may not know that they just published a book, and are currently doing a book tour. When I saw that they were coming to Minneapolis, I squealed at my desk, and immediately gchatted Kelly, asking if she'd want to go with me to the signing. Thankfully, she said yes, and we both quickly RSVPed. 

Kelly had a meeting at work until 5pm, so I offered to go earlier to save us a spot in line. 
Kelly was a sweetheart and brought some Starbucks for us while we waited in line, and of COURSE we used our cozies from Cedar Street Creatives! (Kelly's Etsy shop - go here!)
The YHL book signing turned into an informal Minnesota blogger get together! We got to see Melissa and Daci... love those girls!
After what seemed like forever (about an hour), they finally let us in West Elm, and let me tell you... that store is so cute! I've been in there before, but it was all decorated for Christmas, and I wanted to bring every single thing home!!





To make everything go faster, they were handing out books to people while they waited in line, which gave us the opportunity to have a photo shoot with our books. Obviously. 




 And the cookies! OMG! There were cookies. At every West Elm they've visited, a local bakery has designed "Young House Love" cookies, and the ones at our West Elm... were sparkly!!! Seriously! So cute, and so yummy!



We were having so much fun posing for pictures, so we hardly noticed the line moving. Then, all of a sudden, it was our turn! 

WE WERE MEETING SHERRY AND JOHN FROM YOUNG HOUSE LOVE! 


 OK. No joke. They're seriously two of the SWEETEST people I've ever met! They are exactly what they seem like they are on their blog! We talked, got pictures and they even signed owls for us! Sherry thanked me personally for the "warm" weather that Minnesota had for them, and she told Kelly she LOVED her outfit... even stood up to check it out closer! Basically, we're new best friends with the YHLers. :)

Twitter proof of our new "friendship"

One really cool thing they're doing is using an empty version of their book as a guest book for all their tour stops. Kelly and I obviously had to write a sweet note for our new besties, and even captured a picture with our adorable signed owls!



There was no way we were ready to go home after such an exciting event (we were seriously shaking with joy for like an hour after!) so we headed to Pinstripes next door for a glass of wine and some "de-briefing"... and cookie eating.



 Young House Love has been one of my favorite blogs since I found the blogging world back in 2010, and I still can't believe I got to meet them! I've paged through the book several times, and there's already a bunch of projects on my to do list! I even got Jake hooked! He looked through the book and was asking questions, so I gave him an in depth tour of younghouselove.com. I'd say he was impressed. He also thinks Burger is pretty cute. 

If the YHLers are coming to your town on their book tour, GO! Seriously. Go. They're so sweet and so sincere... and FUNNY! It's not an act. They're so funny. And so adorable. And if they're not coming to your city or you can't make it... buy the book anyway! It's filled with tons of great ideas, and it's adorable! 

On a mushy side note...

Kelly - I had the BEST time with you last night! Seriously... I think we're the same person. Our "therapy" sessions are so much fun, and we definitely need to have them more often! Thank you so much for coming with me on our YHL adventure!! :)  You're the BEST!! Love you bunches and bunches!!

Photobucket

29 comments:

Neely said...

I'm going here sat!!

Bridget said...

ahhhhh!!! Love this! I am so jealous I couldn't go. YHL is the very first blog I ever discovered and fell in love with! The book is on my Christmas list...fingers crossed Santa brings it for me ;)

~Dawn~ said...

Ahhh....looks like a super fun time...and so cool you met up with some other MN bloggers. :))

Erin said...

Why are you so cool?! :) So glad you ladies had a blast- I'm totally going to ask for their book for Christmas now. It's one of the first blogs I started obsessing over too, and I have TOTALLY made Jared go page by page through their blog ;) LOL

Ruthie Hart said...

YHL is the first blog I ever started reading and I am dying to go in January!!!!!!

the girl in the red shoes said...

I'm so jealous! And I LOVE that you had them sign those cute owls!

{[Jessica]} said...

how awesome is that!!!!
Those owls are adorable. :)

Katie said...

Love them!! I wonder if they come here?!? I will have to check it out! How does the book look?! This is awesome :)

Kelly said...

Looooooooooove this post. Makes me relive last night, which was the bomb.com. SOOO much fun. Love you too, friend!!

Caroline said...

You guys are the cutest!!! I love this. Now, I need to check these peeps out.

Kristen said...

Sounds like fun, I am going to start folling them stat!

Cassie said...

SO jealous!! they were just in chicago which is like five hours away from st. louis. i want them to come to st. louis. i just LOVE them and i can't put the book down!!

Sarah said...

I love those owls! So cute! I will definitely have to check out YHL's blog too! Thanks!

Margaret F said...

I want this book so badly! I love John and Sherry, I've been reading over there for years now. Looks like you had a lot of fun! :)

Meg @ Mr.C and Me said...

major jealous! i love YHL - the first blog i ever started following. so cool you got to meet them! haha too bad she didn't sign your books or owls as SherrDog lol those two crack me up!

Brandi said...

I'm off to go check out YHL now! That book signing looks like it was fun!

REBrown said...

Fun!

Desiree said...

I am sooooooo jealous that you got to meet them!!! But it's a good jealous. I'm not going to key your car or anything... :-)

Drew is on the fence about them - says they're too good to be true, that they have to be hiding something. He's such a cynic. I tried to get him to come with me to the signing that they were going to have in New York but I think the storm postponed it and I don't know if they're going to reschedule.

Oh well!

I'm totally addicted to their blog and when they featured one of MY projects I nearly exploded from happiness. I can't imagine what I would do if I actually met them! I completely understand the need to 'come down' from sharing space with them! :-)

TracyZLesh @ Then I Got To Thinking said...

That is SO cool!! You all look adorable, by the way. Love the starbucks cozie.

Melissa said...

Loved your recap! If I hadn't had my Leann Chin date afterwards I would have totally put my bracelet on and joined you ladies for some FREE wine.

Fash Boulevard said...

giiiirl, those cozies are too darn cute and Young House Love is a FAVORITE. Adore this post! Hope you're doing well, love. If you get a sec, I'd love to hear your thoughts on my latest. xo

www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

Britni Kesselring said...

I'm so jealous!!

Looks like you ladies had a blast.

Sami said...

No clue who or what this blog is but I'll definitely go check it out! Glad you had fun and I just adore how cute you and Kelly are together :)

ajs {of MN} said...

i love the twitter proof! haha

sounds like you girls had a great time, i admit i have NO idea who YHL is... (GASP) but your post makes me want to KNOW them, like NOW! ;)

Faith said...

I am so, so jealous. They are amazing!

Looks like the best time!

Kristen said...

how freaking fun! looks like a great night!

KRISTIN said...

You two are nuts!

Kayla Janachovsky said...

Visiting from Young House Love. It's so great to see fellow MN bloggers linked up from their event in Edina. I wasn't able to make it, but it looks like it was fun! Love your blog.

Dancy said...

Totally late on this one but I LOVE that you met them. They ended up coming to NYC during Sandy & so I missed them. Although on their blog, they mentioned that they stopped at a grilled cheese place literally down the street from our house! Glad you had a good experience meeting them! They should bring Clara to those things! LOL