Friday, October 29, 2010

chicken tortilla soup {recipe}

I did it. I made my first homemade soup. And it was YUMMY. Yay! :) 

I used Centsational Girl's recipe, and then tweaked it for myself. 
I doubled the recipe so I would have more leftovers. 
She cooks it in a pot, and I wanted to let it simmer all day while I was working, so I used my crockpot. 

RECIPE INFO:
This recipe serves six.  
Total calories per serving: 300 including garnish of cheese and tortilla strips.  
Add another 60 calories per serving for the avocado. 

INGREDIENTS: (I used double of all of these since I was doubling the recipe...)
2 tbsp vegetable oil
Four 14 oz. cans chicken broth (or equivalent with bullion)
1 package taco seasoning
1 tbsp red taco sauce (mild or medium)
4 oz. can diced green chiles (mild or medium)
6 oz. can tomato paste
8 oz. petite diced tomatoes – half the can and completely optional
3/4 tsp ground cumin
4 chicken breasts
14 oz. water
1 medium onion – finely diced
1.5 cups diced celery
1.5 cups diced carrots
1.5 cups roasted or frozen kernel corn
4 corn tortillas
1 cup shredded jack cheese
Sliced avocado (optional, if available)
Fresh cilantro (optional)

HERE'S HOW I DID IT:

(originally there were pictures of each step... but they don't work anymore!)

 1. Chop up all the veggies. Don't worry about how they look, I DEFINITELY don't know the pretty way to chop, and my soup was yummy!
2. Put all the chopped up veggies into the crock pot.


3. Cut the chicken breasts into chunks and put in a bowl.

4. Mix the chicken pieces in taco seasoning. Make sure to get it on every piece.

6. Add the frozen corn into the crock pot.

 7. Add in 7 of the 8 cans of chicken broth.
The 8th didn't fit... crock pot was too full!

8. Add in the diced tomatoes and tomato paste.
Continue worrying about how full the crock pot is getting.

9. Add in the diced chiles. 

10. Don't forget about the cumin.

11. Look at the crock pot and start freaking out. 
Uhoh... I haven't even added chicken yet!!!

12. Look at the chicken and wonder how you're ever getting that in the already almost overflowing crockpot.

 13. Use a turkey baster and a glass to make some room for said chicken.
It may take two glasses, but who's counting.

 14. Add in the secret ingrediant - taco sauce!!

15.  Put the lid on, and head to work.
The whole time worrying that the soup would bubble over and scald poor Cooper who's sitting in his kennel right below this counter. Don't worry. It didn't.

 16. Get home. Enjoy the aroma of soup that fills your house.

17. Put the soup in a bowl, and add some shredded cheese. (Centsational Girl also recommends avocado, fresh cilantro and corn tortilla pieces, but I was too lazy for that.) Add some saltine crackers, and enjoy!!


So that was my first try at making homemade soup! I learned some things (like making sure my crockpot can hold a double recipe of soup...) and I enjoyed some yummy soup. I would definitely recommend this recipe!!! :)

Have a good & spooky Halloween weekend!!


Special thanks to Centsational Girl for her great recipe!!!
Photobucket

7 comments:

J and A said...

Yum! Looks great! The hubby would love this!

Dancy said...

This is the most fun & realistic food-post I've read in a while. LOVE it!! :)

Jessica said...

Dude, I overfill my crock pot all the time. I'm on your side! Hahaha

I also overfill my pots when boiling pasta. Always have to scoop out water. D'OH!

abby | ybba said...

lol! you can't do this to mee!! i've been craving soup for a while now since the cold weather is starting around the corner. lol.

you soup looks so good !!! yummmm.

ModernMom said...

lol I have so overfilled my crock pot!

Jenny DB said...

Thanks for the recipe! Looks A-MAZING!!! you HAVE to try this recipe next... http://www.tbm.org/tortilla_soup.htm

It is seriously THE BEST SOUP EVER. Delicious. Dont forget the Adobe chipotle secret ingredient by Embassa. If you make it be sure to let me know how you like it! I guarantee you won't be disappointed :-)

o-girl said...

I love that you kept your post real. I've overfilled my crock pot a time or two (or more) as well! LOL May I offer a hint? Usually crock pot recipes don't require as much liquid as their stove top/oven cooked counterparts. I love that you tried this recipe in the crock pot though. It's much easier cooking with a crock pot than on the stove. No watching or stirring. :)

Happy Weekend!